thea: phone cards


More Phone Cards
Originally uploaded by Thea Button
The whole process of phone cards in Trinidad is symbolic of something far greater than the simple ability to call down the road. In the states i have a phone plan, I pay it monthly, I have an agreement with the phone company to be a customer and they agree to keep my service running 24/7. this involves complicated legal contracts that bind me to them for two or more years and can be slightly problematic when they dont provide the quality of service I am expecting, But at the end of the day, my phone calls out when i need it to and i dont really have to pay that much attention to it. Here however, I need to continuously buy phone cards, running from one to the next, discovering, as I have, late at night, that I have run through all of my minutes and still need to make calls but unable to obtain more minutes. It is such a tenuous agreement, no long term security, no cushy convenience of a once a month bill. It is momentary, living in this minute rather than the next, no future plan, simply a call, right here, right now.
It is the same concept that "liming" follows: what I am doing right here, right now, supersedes everything else in importance. It is a moment to moment experience, more raw and in touch but also more haphazard, pieced together.
Given this analysis of phone card use as a small replica of society as a whole, I think they will play some role in the final product, small and insignificant, used up, useless, but somehow added together to mean something more. Thats the whole idea, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment